7 Vital Quotes From Malala Yousafzai, The UN's Youngest Messenger of Peace
On April 10, Malala Yousafzai was designated the youngest-ever United Nations Messenger of Peace by Secretary-General António Guterres.
All UN Messengers of Peace are individuals who are "carefully selected from the fields of art, literature, science, entertainment, sports or other fields of public life, who have agreed to focus worldwide attention on the work of the global Organization," volunteering their "time, talent and passion to raise awareness of UN's efforts to improve the lives of billions of people everywhere."
After being shot by the Taliban in 2012 for going to school, Yousafzai is particularly dedicated to bringing education to young girls around the world, urging that education for all will bring peace for all.
Here are seven of Malala's most powerful quotes on education and the strength of women to help foster peace:
• "When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful."
• "One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world."
• "There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a third power stronger than both, that of women."
• "If one man can destroy everything, why can't one girl change it?"
• "We cannot succeed when half of us are held back. We call upon our sisters around the world to be brave, to embrace the strength within themselves, and realize their full potential."
• "This is what my soul is telling me: Be peaceful and love everyone."
• "I truly believe the only way we can create global peace is through not only educating our minds, but our hearts and our souls."
Photo Credit: Volkan Furuncu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images