The Best Quotes From the 2016 Presidential Candidates at the Annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner "Roast"
Each year the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner is held in honor of its respective foundation to benefit the women and children of the Archdiocese of New York.
At its 71st annual gathering Thursday evening, guests and attendees raised more than $6 million for the Alfred E. Smith Foundation and listened to arguably the most cordial speeches exchanged between the two presidential candidates this campaign season.
And in a seemingly jovial dinner atmosphere, the two 2016 presidential candidates were able to shake hands and crack mostly lighthearted jokes about one another — attacks that were, for once, warranted.
Read below for some of the best jokes and quotes from Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton:
• "It's great to be here with a thousand wonderful people. Or as I call it, a small, intimate dinner with some friends. Or as Hillary calls it, her largest crowd of the season."
• "I do recognize that I come into this event with a little bit of an advantage. I know that so many of you in the archdiocese already have a place in your heart for a guy who started out as a carpenter working for his father."
• "We have proven that we can actually be civil to each other. In fact... Hillary accidentally bumped into me and she very civilly said 'Pardon me.'"
• "These events give not only the candidates a chance to be with each other... It also allows the candidates the opportunity to meet the other candidate's team... I got the chance to meet the people who are working so hard to get her elected. There they are, the heads of NBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, there's The New York Times over there, and The Washington Post."
• "The media is even more bias this year than ever before... Michelle Obama gives a speech and everyone loves it, it's fantastic... My wife Melania gives the exact same speech and people get on her case."
• "We've got to come together not only as a nation, but as a world community."
• "Because this is a friendly dinner for such a great cause, Donald if at any time you don't like what I'm saying, feel free to stand up and shout 'wrong' while I'm talking."
• "You know, come to think of it, it's amazing I'm up here after Donald. I didn't think he'd be okay with a peaceful transition of power."
• "People look at the Statue of Liberty and they see a proud symbol of our history as a nation of immigrants, a beacon of hope for people around the world. Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a 4. Maybe a 5 if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair."
• "Donald wanted me drug tested before last night's debate. And look... I am so flattered that Donald thought I used some sort of performance enhancer. Now actually, I did. It's called preparation."
• "Looking back, I've had to listen to Donald for three full debates... And he says I don't have any stamina."
• "So tonight, let's embrace the spirit of the evening, let's come together, remember what unites us, and just rip on Ted Cruz."
Watch the remarks in full in the video below.
Photo Credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images