The Five Best Things We Just Learned About Tavi Gevinson
1. Fellow MAKER Miranda July helped her get her first break. In seventh grade, Tavi posted a rap tribute to Rei Kawakubo (designer of Comme des Garçons) online. Miranda found it and showed it to her friends Laura and Kate Mulleavy, designers of Rodarte. Then it made its way around the fashion-art crowd, and Tavi was flown to London to make a zine for Pop magazine. Dasha Zhukova, the editor of Pop, liked her style so much that she ended up on the cover.
2. Her mother is a weaver who creates scenes from the Torah in Scandinavian linen yarn. She grew up in Oslo and prioritizes a sense of coziness in her family home.
3. Jane Pratt (another MAKER), editor of xoJANE.com, helped Tavi start Rookie, along with writer and editor Anaheed Alani. According to her bio, Anaheed “loves Bill Murray and dogs.” Watch Anaheed and Tavi talk Rookie Year One at the Ace Hotel.
4. After she broke up with her high school boyfriend, she chilled with Taylor Swift. “I hate being heartbroken, but who better to discuss it with than Taylor Swift?” Indeed. Wouldn’t we all love to discuss heartbreak with T-Swift in her Watch Hill abode.
5. She’s planning on going to NYU in 2015. She’s moving onto the Lower East Side with her best friend Petra Collins, a photographer. Hopefully that means we can look forward to more Tavi talks in NYC!