The Lowdown: 7 Facts About Leslie Jones in All Her Fun, Fierce Glory
If there's one thing the MAKERS team loves as much as birthdays, it's Leslie Jones and her exceptional Twitter presence:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!— Leslie Jones (@Lesdoggg) September 7, 2016
And, of course, all the people helping her make #LJBday the most memorable one to date.
So let's make my birthday week THE BOMB!! Cause I'm about to act a fool YALL!! CHEAH! #LJBDAY— Leslie Jones (@Lesdoggg) September 4, 2016
Here are seven facts you'll wish you knew all along about this fearless and irresistible "goddess."
1. Born into a military family, Leslie Jones and little sister, Ta'Rhonda — "Empire" actress — frequently had to move. After their father served in the United States Army, he began working for Stevie Wonder's radio station, KJLH, in Los Angeles.
2. Jones played basketball throughout high school in California, using her 6'0" height to her advantage and eventually earning a scholarship to play at Chapman University before she eventually transferred to Colorado State University. There, she earned the title of "Funniest Person on Campus" from a comedy contest her friend entered her into without her knowing, kicking off her love of comedy.
3. Like many college students, Jones worked various jobs. She worked as a waitress, cashier, receptionist, perfume salesperson, and even at UPS while she dabbled in comedy.
4. Before long, after landing several comedy and acting roles, she worked with Chris Rock who, similar to her classmates at CSU, called her "the funniest woman" he knew.
5. Jones actually "wrote for Chris Rock for the 2014 BET Awards."
6. Since 1998, Jones has been nominated for various awards including an Oscar.
Photo Credit: Heidi Gutman/ABC via Getty Images