#OlympianMAKERS: Everything You Need to Know for the 2016 Summer Games
The 2016 Rio Olympics are officially underway and we're celebrating by sharing with you the sport events we are most looking forward to watching, some fun Olympic facts, and our favorite Olympian MAKERS.
This week, we are looking forward to women's tennis, soccer, gymnastics, basketball, and fencing.
Look out for the oldest female gymnast to ever compete at the Olympics: Oksana Chusovitina. At 41 years old, she is representing Uzbekistan's national team and will be competing against Team USA's Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas.
The U.S. Women's Basketball team could make history as they have won five consecutive gold medals and are now competing for their sixth.
See below for some fascinating facts and learn more about some of the MAKERS who've made Olympic history. For a full list of the Olympic events, click here.
Fun Facts About the 2016 Summer Olympics:
• The 2016 Olympic Torch Relay began more than 3 months ago on April 21 in Olympia, Greece, with a "traditional flame-lighting ceremony."
• The mascot for the 2016 Olympic Games is Vinicius, "a mixture of all the Brazilian animals" whose mission is to "spread joy throughout the world and celebrate the friendship that flourishes between people from all over the world at this super sports event."
• Amongst the 42 different Olympic sports at the 2016 Summer Games, there will be 161 medals for men, 136 for women, and 9 mixed medals.
• Team USA is "expected to bring more athletes than all the other visiting nations in Rio." With a total of 555 U.S. athletes in total this year, 292 of them will be female.
• For the first time ever, the Olympic Games will feature a team of refugees.
Check Out Our Olympian MAKERS:
Julie Chu (USA) — Olympic Hockey Player — 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014
Kelly Clark (USA) — Olympic Snowboarder — 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014
Donna de Varona (USA) — Olympic Swimmer — 1960, 1964
Marlen Esparza (USA) — Olympic Boxer — 2012
Mia Hamm (USA) — Olympic Soccer Player — 1996, 2000, 2004
Kathy Kusner (USA) — Olympic Equestrian — 1964, 1968, 1972
Lisa Leslie (USA) — Olympic Basketball Player — 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008
Carli Lloyd (USA) — Olympic Soccer Player — 2008, 2012, 2016
Martina Navratilova (USA) — Olympic Tennis Player — 2004
Hope Solo (USA) — Olympic Soccer Player — 2008, 2012, 2016
Abby Wambach (USA) — Olympic Soccer Player — 2004, 2012
Hayley Wickenheiser (CAN) — Olympic Hockey Player — 1998, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014
Serena Williams (USA) — Olympic Tennis Player — 2000, 2008, 2012, 2016
We want to hear from you! Tweet us your favorite Olympian MAKERS from the list above and also let us know which 2016 Olympic athlete you think should be a MAKER. Use the hashtag #OlympianMAKERS to vote.
For more Olympic inspiration, watch our exclusive Olympics video in the video player above.
Photo Credit: Getty Images