5 Quotes That Prove Nelson Mandela Was a Feminist
From the very beginning of his life, Rolihlahla Mandela, better known as Nelson, sought to create peace throughout the world, fighting injustice, and promoting equality.
His work as a revolutionary, a philanthropist, and a politician are recognized around the globe every day, but especially on #MandelaDay.
Today, on what would be his 98th birthday, we're sharing five of his most memorable quotes, highlighting the importance, strength, and equality of women around the world.
1. "I've never regarded women as, in any way, less competent than men."
2. "Freedom cannot be achieved unless the women have been emancipated from all forms of oppression."
3. "The women were courageous, persistent, enthusiastic, indefatigable and their protest against passes set a standard for anti-government protest that was never equaled."
4. "As a tribute to the legions of women who navigated the path of fighting for justice before us, we ought to imprint in the supreme law of the land, firm principles upholding the rights of women."
5. "Peace is not just the absence of conflict; peace is the creation of an environment where all can flourish regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, class, caste, or any other social markers of difference."
Photo Credit: Steve Christo/The Sydney Morning Herald/Fairfax Media via Getty Images