These Quotes Prove That Madonna Is a Feminist Role Model
The "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl" singer, Madonna Ciccone, turns 58 on Tuesday, and with her birthday comes a flood of memories of her all-time best hits. While Madonna is undoubtedly a talent known for her continued fierceness and ongoing success, she is also a figure to look up to.
With power and confidence, Madonna has proven herself amongst other talented artists both before and after her career peaked in the '80s and '90s and continues to prove herself as anything but mediocre — something that she says keeps her driven over time.
While "mediocre" is by no means a word to describe this renowned pop icon, "feminist" definitely is, and for a variety of reasons. From breaking stereotypes to testing boundaries, Madonna refuses to be treated as anything other than the star she is.
Read on for six quotes that prove she's a true feminist.
1. "Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another."
2. "Better to live one year as a tiger than a hundred as a sheep."
3. "I don't follow the rules. I never did, and I'm not going to start."
4. "If you aren't willing to fight for what you believe in, then don't even enter the ring."
5. "The fact that I showed my naked body does not mean that I bared my soul."
6. "A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That's why they don't get what they want."
Photo Credit: Röhnert/ullstein bild via Getty Images