9 Times Serena Williams Showed the World Who's Boss
Serena Williams is tennis' G.O.A.T: the Greatest of All Time. Though she actually was knocked off her pedestal recently as the No.1 female player in the world she still has quite a few amazing things going on. She still has 22 Grand Slam titles and her own clothing line and has earned more than $80 million in prize money and spent nearly six years as the No. 1 tennis player in the world. A writer for New York Times Magazine aptly described the Serena effect. “There is no more exuberant winner than Serena Williams. She leaps into the air, she laughs, she grins, she pumps her fist, she points her index finger to the sky, signaling she’s No. 1. Her joy is palpable.”
We wholeheartedly agree. She’s a true boss in every sense of the word. In celebration of her 35th birthday, here are the ten times she showed the world who’s really in charge.
1. When she proudly proclaimed "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend"
As much as she loves to win a singles match, Serena always makes times to do something else: Sing karaoke songs. At the annual Delta event during the US Open, Serena is known for grabbing the mic to dazzle players and fans alike. Here she is giving her best Marilyn Monroe.
2. When she was caught canoodling with Drake
— Complex UK (@complex_uk) August 24, 2015
3. When she won Wimbledon then dazzled us looking like a Disney princess
4. When she had the admiration of two tennis all-stars
The legendary Chris Evert has called her "a phenomenon that once every hundred years comes around," while John McEnroe described Serena as "the greatest player, I think, that ever lived."
5. When she unleashed her inner Dominique Dawes.
— New York Magazine (@NYMag) August 10, 2015
6. When she reminded a stadium of people that she’s still a Compton girl
At Wimbledon this year, for example, in a match against the home favorite Heather Watson, Serena, interrupted during play by the deafening support of Watson, wagged her index finger at the crowd and said, "Don't try me."
7. When she told ESPN that hard work, not luck, is the secret to her success
"Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come."
8. When she showed us all that we too could break the mold
Speaking to a group of girls in Nigeria alongside her sister Venus, Serena said, “We were able to break the [mold] and win a lot of grand slams and change the face of tennis … when tennis was very dominated by white people. It doesn’t matter what your background is and where you come from, if you have dreams and goals, that’s all that matters."
9. When she had the best humble brag of all time.
"worst case scenario I have another Serena Slam" sickest brag ever: https://t.co/UNuiM8FS1f
— Butt Bro Dude (@ohholybutt) July 11, 2015
More From Levo:
• This is Serena Williams’ World, We Just Live in It
• Serena Williams Just Reminded Us All to Be Our Own Superhero
• Serena Williams Added Another Major Accomplishment to Her Resume Today
• Serena Williams Has Finally Become the Highest Paid Woman in Sports
Photo Credit: Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty Images