These Are the Touching Ways the 2016 Tony Awards Honored the Orlando Shooting Victims
Sunday night's Tony Awards came on the heels of the largest mass shooting in American history. While the country was grieving, the showrunners and stars of the awards came up with a few beautiful ways to express some love and to honor those who had died in the early hours of the morning.
1. Dedicating the entire awards ceremony to the victims of the shooting
"Heartbroken for my LGBT brothers and sisters," Jesse Tyler Ferguson wrote. "I pray this will not just reignite the discussion about gun control but will actually lead to change."
2. Host James Corden's opening number
We all love Cordon's "Carpool Karaoke" sketches, but his intro for the Tony Awards was heartfelt as he expressed the theater community's support for those affected and followed it up with a beautiful statement about the awards: "Theater is a place where every race, creed, sexuality, and gender is equal, is embraced, and is loved. Hate will never win. Together we have to make sure of that. Tonight's show stands as a symbol and a celebration of that principle. This is the Tony Awards."
3. These silver ribbons worn in solidarity by attendees
4. The Hamilton cast left off using muskets in their performance.
5. "Love is love is love": Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda paid tribute during his acceptance speech (which happened to be written as a sonnet) for best score.
"Senseless acts of tragedy remind us that nothing here is promised, not one day. This show is proof that history remembers," he said. "We live through times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall and light from dying embers, remembrances that hope and love last longer." Miranda then teared up as he repeated several times "Love is love is love is love...cannot be killed or swept aside."
Can't get enough "Hamilton" after 16 nominations? We hear ya:
More From Glamour:
• Watch Lin-Manuel Miranda in a Broadway-Themed "Carpool Karaoke"
• Why Do People Think This Hamilton Casting Notice Is Racist?
• 2016 Tony Awards: Celebrity Fashion From the Red Carpet
• Tony Awards 2016: Best Hair and Makeup Looks
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Kevin Mazur