What Women Leaders Have to Say About the Brexit
Britain is now officially leaving the European Union, a historic decision made by referendum. Prime Minister David Cameron also announced he would resign by October in a move to redirect to "fresh leadership."
More than 30 million people voted yesterday on the Brexit and the vote was split with 52 percent in favor of leaving the EU, and 48 percent in favor of remaining within the economic and political partnership. The decision is likely to influence not only Britain's citizens but also the world's financial markets, pending a withdrawal agreement with the now 27 EU member states.
So what do women think of Brexit? German chancellor Angela Merkel, ranked No. 1 on the Forbes list of "World's Most Powerful Women," urged Europe to remain "calm and composed" while standing together with Britain. This comes after she expressed her regret that Britain will be leaving the union.
Check out some of the responses below:
I don't think I've ever wanted magic more. https://t.co/gVNQ0PYIMT— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) June 24, 2016
Brexiteers like the cheating man shocked he can't stay in the spare room for 2 years while he sorts himself out. https://t.co/Xvjfr6ifPv— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) June 24, 2016
Victoire de la liberté ! Comme je le demande depuis des années, il faut maintenant le même référendum en France et dans les pays de l'UE MLP— Marine Le Pen (@MLP_officiel) June 24, 2016
Translation from Marine Le Pen, leader of France's far-right National Front party: “Victory for liberty! As I have asked for years, we must now have the same referendum in France and in the countries of the European Union.”
Our first task has to be to make sure that the economic uncertainty created by these events does not hurt working families. #BrexitVote— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) June 24, 2016
"This time of uncertainty only underscores the need for calm, steady, experienced leadership in the White House." —Hillary #BrexitVote— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) June 24, 2016
Photo Credit: John Macdougall/AFP/Getty Images