7 Incredible Firsts for Women In Sports
Women have come a long way in sports.
Through the years, women have have ran, swam, danced and leapt their way over historic hurdles, while inspiring generations of young women to follow their lead and break records of their own.
We're celebrating historic firsts — the moments women dared to shatter gender stereotypes, challenge athletic norms, and ultimately change history.
1. Mo'Ne Davis, first girl to pitch a shutout in Little League World Series history
2. Kelly Kullick, first woman to win a regular Professional Bowlers Association tour title
3. Diana Nyad, first confirmed person to swim from Cuba to Florida without the aid of a shark cage
4. Molly Huddle, first American to win the New York City Half Marathon
5. Gertrude Ederle, first woman to swim across the English Channel
6. Julie Krone, first female jockey to win a Triple Crown race
7. Sarah Reinersten, first female above-knee amputee to complete the Ironman World Championship
Photo Credit: Howard Simmons /NY Daily News via Getty Images