Five Reasons We Love Amal Clooney
Amal Clooney is an accomplished human rights lawyer who specializes in international law, criminal law, human rights, and extradition. She takes on ambitious clients like Julien Assange, founder of Wikileaks, and the former Prime Minister of Ukraine. You might recognize her last name because in 2014, she married American actor George Clooney, and was immediately dubbed Barbara Walters' most fascinating person of the year.
Here's why we can't get enough of Amal:
1. She’s trilingual—speaking French, English, and Arabic—but she’s decidedly quiet when it comes to sharing her personal life, like the press would love her to do. Her tacit approach to her newfound celebrity has forced typically fluffy publications like People to report on human rights law. Google “Amal Alamuddin interview,” and the top results are on separating law and politics in Egypt and a case involving the former Ukranian prime minister.
2. She wrote a new kind of love story. The prince charming doesn’t save the princess. Instead, they meet after long, successful careers. He doesn’t whisk her off to his palace; their lives intersect as they continue to excel as individuals. And they’re equally, publicly, dedicated to the relationship. As George Clooney said at the Golden Globes, “Amal, whatever alchemy brought us together, I couldn’t be prouder to be your husband.”
3. She made the best joke of the Golden Globes possible. In their opening monologue of the night, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey said, “Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, was an adviser to Kofi Annan regarding Syria, and was selected for a three-person U.N. commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza Strip. So tonight her husband is getting a lifetime-achievement award.”
4. She’s unflappable when it comes to courtroom fashion. Last week, while she was at the European Court of Human Rights to argue against a Turkish politician who had denied the Armenian genocide, a reporter asked Amal who she was wearing. “I’m wearing Ede & Ravenscroft,” she replied coolly, name-dropping the company that’s been making formal legal wear for centuries.
5. She was reportedly too busy to go on a date with George Clooney at first. E! says she was “playing hard to get,” but probably she actually was way too busy with her barrister responsibilities to go to dinner with an actor. Still, eventually she said yes, and thankfully we all lived happily ever after!