14 Quotes That Prove Mo'ne Davis Is Wise Beyond Her 14 Years
August 15 marked one year since pitching phenomenon Mo'ne Davis became the first girl to earn a win and to pitch a shutout in Little League World Series history.
But throughout the year, Davis has proved to us that she is not only talented, but she is also wise — both on and off the field.
We've gathered 14 quotes that show Davis is wise beyond her 14 years.
1. "Throwing 70 mph – that's throwing like a girl."
2. "I don't really like all the attention because it just feels like everything's about me, and they don't see the whole picture of my teammates. And without my teammates I don't think we'd be here right now."
3. "I can't fill all nine positions or bat all nine times, so you just have to see the whole reason by we're here is because we we work well together and we work as a team."
4. "If I didn't get opportunities, I wouldn't be where I am right now. That's why I want to give girls opportunities that they don't have and get more people involved. Because I am a girl and every girl needs a chance to show off their talent."
5. "I throw my curveball like Clayton Kershaw and my fastball like Mo'ne Davis."
6. "When I joined an all-boys baseball team, my mom wasn't too happy. I proved to her (and to me) that I could do anything I set my mind to"
7. "I'm just a girl that likes to play sports and I'm excited to share my story with everyone. I hope it encourages people to take a chance and play the sports they want to play and not just the ones people expect them to play."
8. "Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you like. Just keep dreaming. Go for it."
9. "Probably like a couple of years from now, there'll be a lot of girls here, and then it won't be just like all boys, so they'll have to build another dorm for girls, so it'll be a huge impact if more girls start playing."
10. "I never thought I'd be a role model at this age. I just have to be myself."
11. "It does mean a lot to be the first American girl, but more girls should start joining boys' team. The attention should not just be on one girl; more girls should join boys' teams so it is a tradition and it won't be so special."
In response to Bloomsburg University kicking off the baseball player who was kicked off the team for a tweet that criticized a planned Disney movie about Davis:
12. "Everyone deserves a second chance. I know he didn’t mean it in that type of way. I know people get tired of seeing me on TV. But sometimes you got to think about what you’re doing before you do it."
13. "Everyone makes mistakes and I know — he would if it was me — I know I would want to take that back."
In response to the media attention:
14. "I can always say no. So that's my special weapon for the media."
Photo Credit: Barry Gossage/NBAE via Getty Images