The 5 Most Oprah-tastic Moments From Oprah's Cookbook Press Tour
Jan 6, 2017
Anyone who's anyone knows that Oprah Winfrey doesn't hit the talk show circuit just any old time. The once and forever queen of daytime has things to do (like pluck fresh tomatoes from her garden, obviously) and people (Stedman, Gayle) to see. But, this week, manna from heaven for obsessives and heathens alike: Oprah has left the lush grounds of her Montecito farm and is on a whirlwind press tour to promote her first cookbook, "Food, Health, and Happiness: 115 On-Point Recipes for Great Meals and a Better Life." With the tables turned and Oprah in the hot seat, the humble brags and her patented sing-speech spring eternal. Here, the five best, most entertaining, and unintentionally hilarious revelations from Oprah's press fest.
1. Before her $43 million investment in Weight Watchers, "I was at my lowest point with food because I'd hurt my ankle in Maui and I'd used that as an excuse not to work out," the Divine Miss O told her BFF Gayle King and company on "CBS This Morning."
Haven't we all been there? Twisting an ankle in Hawaii is the worst! Fast-forward to this past holiday season, though, and Oprah is 42.5 pounds lighter, and resting easy in another tropical locale. “I was in bed by 9:37 p.m. on New Year’s Eve in St. Barth’s,” she shared.
2. If there's one thing she hates, it's "spending money in a hotel to get your underwear washed," she gamely told TMZ.
"One time I was in France and I washed my underwear and I put it on the balcony and it blew down the alley. . . . It's ridiculous. It's like $12." Oh, to have been the French lady strolling by the George V as Oprah's wayward undies drifted by in the breeze . . .
3. The Obamas' Christmas card totally made her verklempt this year.
"You get a Christmas card from them, right, every year?" she smirked on "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert." As someone who is, naturally, on the presidential holiday card list, she explained, "Over the years, you get the Christmas card and this year, the girls were all grown . . . and for me, [an] African-American woman, being able to see that reflection of myself, I'm going to miss that." Watch and learn: This is how humble brags are done.
4. Her new buzzword is "contentment."
"Finding your spirit" and "live your best life" are so over. Now O is all about "the great joy of being in the present moment," she revealed on the "Rachael Ray Show." "I can literally start crying over a leaf. I can walk in the morning and see the leaf [and cry], 'There you are on the ground.'"
5. And yet, when it comes to actually sleeping among those majestic leaves, Oprah has her standards.
"May I just say, I do believe in glamping," she declared today on "The Dr. Oz Show." "Why? 'Cause I can. Why should I camp when I can glamp? You have some people to help you set up the tent and you perhaps have them helping you with the food and the stuff, but at least you're out in the wilderness." Dear Oprah: Never, ever change.
More From Vogue:
• On Oprah, Michelle Obama Puts Those 2020 Rumors to Rest
• How to Wear Glasses Like a Boss: Taking Cues From Oprah’s Bold Frames
• Worshipping "Oprah" Five Years After It Went Off the Air
• How Instagram Became the New Oprah’s Book Club
Photo Credit: Getty Images